After an extended break……it is FINALLY time to restart the SFA chess club! The club is for students in Kindergarten through 8th grade, from beginners through young grand masters. For those just learning the game, adult volunteers will work with them in small groups or older students can play practice matches with them to earn service hours. Most days are open play to move up/down our leaderboard, but throughout the year we’ll also have guest coaches, special challenges, & tournaments……with trophies & other prizes!
As in previous years, chess club will start at 7:15am and meet every Friday the kids have school beginning on 10/1 (except when school is delayed past the normal start time & the last school day on 5/27). We’ll be in the Serra room again which is across the hall from the pre-school classrooms.
Kids can be dropped off in the circle drive on the south side of the church (by the pond) & enter through the doors to the right. Please do NOT drop-off earlier than 7:15am so our adult volunteers have time to set up the room. For the first few weeks, we plan to have volunteers or older students stationed by these doors to help direct any newcomers. When chess club is finished (no later than 8:15am), the kids will be guided down the hallway to their classrooms.
No response is needed to officially join chess club, but please review the following items:
– For those returning members: Let us know if any e-mails need to be added or removed from this distribution list. Some of you may no longer have kids at SFA or maybe you know of others (including Kindergartners & new students) who might like to join!
– To help out our core group of volunteers, we’re hoping to have all parents of chess club kids help out with 2-3 sessions during the school year (7:05am to 8:20am). Please respond with volunteer dates that work for you & I’ll add you to the sign up sheet. If you’re willing to help out more often, let me know & I’ll grant you direct access to the sheet.
– Finally, please respond with any dates below that you are willing to bring treats (1st school Friday of the month) & I’ll confirm your assigned date.
* Available treat dates: 12/3, 1/7, 2/4, 3/4, 4/1, 5/6, 5/20 (last day of chess club)
* For now, we estimate having 20-30 kids each week. Most people bring donuts or donut holes, but you’re welcome to bring anything on the school’s approved treat list. We have plates/napkins/cups on hand so you don’t need to bring those items.
We’ll send out more details regarding special events and tournaments once those have been scheduled. Thanks in advance for your help & we look forward to another fun year of chess club!
John Schumacher & Sergio Bravo