“I will serve!”
“Don’t let anyone look down on us because we are young, but let us set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, in service, and in purity.” – adapted from 1 Timothy 4:12
SFA MIDDLE SCHOOL SERVICE REQUIREMENT
The object is to get the students involved in serving our greater community and world. Remember, service can include service to your environment, service to God’s creatures and service through civic opportunities as well.
Students will need to complete their total hours by the end of the 1st full week in May. If a student does not meet the requirement by May 1st, then a late-slip will be assigned for each week the requirement is not met.
6th Grade: 6 hours (Up to 4 hours will be counted for one activity)
7th Grade: 8 hours (Up to 6 hours will be counted for one activity)
8th Grade: 10 hours (Up to 8 hours will be counted for one activity)
Tips for Success
- Go to the “Pre-Approved Organizationis” link for ideas on where to serve.
- If you wish to obtain hours for an activity not listed in the “Pre-Approved Organizations” link, you must obtain pre-approval from your Religion teacher before you undertake the activity. If approved by e-mail, the e-mail must be printed and attached to service log.
- Qualifying activities are outside your home and outside the school day.
- Service logs must be filled out completely for each service opportunity and turned in within 2 weeks of the service experience.
- Service hours completed in summer months must be turned in within the first 2 weeks of school.
- Students are allowed to earn service hours at both St. Francis School, St. Francis Parish, and Dowling Catholic High School. Watch for emails sent home regarding school hours & bulletin updates for parish hours, along with information on who to contact.
- Non-SFA and Dowling Concession stand hours need to be pre-approved.
- A maximum of 2 hours for baked goods will be accepted each year.