Thursday, October 20th: Home & School Meeting 12p in the RE Conference Room
The St. Francis Nursery is looking for volunteers. Each month, there are several opportunities to volunteer in the nursery including Sunday mornings, Tuesday afternoons and many evening and weekend shifts. Service hours can be earned for these commitments. Volunteers must be in 6th grade and older and complete a nursery orientation. Contact Rebecca Bahl with questions.
Volleyball Parochial Night at DCHS: Tuesday, September 18th. Be at DCHS by 6:45pm to be recognized before the varsity game, or come early to watch the freshman, sophomore and JV matches! Freshmen play at 4:45pm, Soph/JV play at 5:45, and Varsity plays at 7:30PM.
Wednesday Rosary: Join us in saying the rosary before school mass on Wednesdays in the Assisi room at 8:15a. Contact Sheila Thelen with questions.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
SFA Track-a-thon Fundraiser kicks off this week! The goal of this event is to encourage students to be physically active, while raising money for their school. A flyer with more information and a donation envelope was sent home today with the youngest/only student in each family. Our goal is to raise at least $10,000, which will replace the amount raised by the coupon book fundraiser from previous years. We are asking each student to raise at least $25 to reach this goal. Donations can be returned at any time to your students’ teachers between now and October 5th. You also have the option to have a donation directly deducted from your FACTS account. Just write it on the donation form and we will take care of the rest!
The fundraiser leads up to the Track-a-thon event on Friday October 5th from 9am-12pm at the SFA track. All parents and other family members are invited to attend and run, walk, or cheer on their students! The schedule of events is below:
- Grades K-2 – 9a-10a
- Grades 3-5 – 10a-11a
- Grades 6-8 – 11a-12p
Volunteers are needed on event day for the following:
1. Supervising kids at games and fitness at the track
2. Handing out bottled water and snack
3. Lending a bags game or ladder ball game for use that day
Please click here if you can help. Thank you very much in advance!!
Please email Christa Lozano with any questions.
Homeroom Parent Volunteers are still needed for: Murphy, Anderson. Please email Nicole Waller if you are able to help!
Talking Canvas: Thank you to everyone who signed-up either online or at one of the back to school nights to facilitate Talking Canvas in the classroom! We have your information and you will hear from us very soon. Classroom programs begin in October. Volunteers are still needed! We will happily take volunteers for all classes, however, there are a couple of grades/classrooms where we need some extra help:
- 1st Grade: Curtin, Gaul and Murphy
- 3rd Grade: Thornton
- 4th Grade: Doyle
- 5th Grade: Anderson and Schaffer
No expertise in art is necessary, just a willingness to teach a mini lesson and facilitate an art project. We provide all lessons and materials. If you are able to help out a couple times a year, please contact Shannon Umthum or 515-689-9307.
Chess Club meets on Fridays, before school, from 7:15a-8a in the Sierra Room. it is never too late to join! If you missed the first two weeks, we are just getting started and welcome new and returning members all year. Kids from all grades are welcome to come to Chess Club (no knowledge or specific level required). Come prepared to have fun and play chess for about 45 minutes. Please contact John Schumacher or Sergio Bravo with questions.
SCRIP CLIPS: We will be selling after weekend masses.
For order forms or to learn more about Scrip, click on the links below:
- What is Scrip?
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
- Check www.shopwithscrip.com for additional retailers available for on-line purchase. (Larger denomination cards are also available on-line.)
Contact Chris Pierson if you have any questions or would like help in setting up an on-line account.
FAITH & OUTREACH
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café.
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help. Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or laundry detergent.
Contact Stacey Dorsey to be added to the e-mail distribution list.
Donate unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins outside the school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church.
- We donated 3,575 toiletry items throughout the 2017/2018 school year!
- During the Summer months we collected over 740 items using the 2nd GREEN bin that sits year round in the Gathering Space by the church.
Thanks again for all of your generous donations! St Francis truly makes a difference in our community!