January 29th – February 2nd: CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK! Click here for a list of activities
Wednesday, January 31st: 11:20a Early Dismissal.
Thursday, February 1st: 2018-19 Registration Begins!
Friday, February 2nd: 7th/8th grade Dance @ Sacred Heart 7p.
SFA Night at the Iowa Wild: Celebrate Catholic Schools week with the Iowa Wild on Friday, February 9th @ 7p! Cost is $12.
St. Francis Preschool Employment Opportunity: St. Francis Preschool is seeking a part-time Staff Associate/On-Call Sub. Individual will assist in preschool classrooms (Monday, Wednesday morning and Thursday) as well as be available and willing to work hours outside regular schedule to provide for possible program substitute staffing needs. Promising candidate will be enthusiastic, energetic and have a passion for working with preschool age children as well as drawn to a collaborative, teamwork environment and eager to learn themselves. Early childhood care or teaching experience is a plus but not required. Health and safety pre-service training is required and provided. To obtain additional information and application specifics, please email Tammy Myers, Preschool Director or call 515-223-4577×116.
Calling all Elementary and Middle School Musicians! All 3rd-8th students of the parish are invited to participate in St. Francis of Assisi Children’s Choir and Middle School Choir! Each group is scheduled to lead the music for weekend Masses on a monthly basis. Please come, lead the music and sing for God! We need you!
- Children’s Choir (grades 3-5) meets on Wednesdays from 5:45p-6:15p in the school music room. Contact Mrs. Lindsay Struecker for more information.
- Middle School Choir (grades 6-8) meets on Wednesdays beginning January 10th from 5:45p-6:15p in the St. Clare Room. Service hours may be earned for participation in middle school parish choir. Contact Mrs. Audra Meyer for more information.
Chess Club will be held in the the Sierra Room every Friday from 7:15a-8a. Come prepared to have fun and to learn how to play chess. Contact Sergio Bravo or John Schumacher with questions. Parents are encouraged join us to for as many sessions as your schedule allows to help supervise.
Order your 2017-2018 SFA Yearbook online (school code:12546418). The cost is $23.00 per book and will be delivered to students in May. Upload candid photos from school sponsored events to be considered for the yearbook by clicking here (school activation code is WELWZD). Thanks in advance for your help!
Wednesday Rosary Join us in saying the rosary before school mass on Wednesdays in the Assisi room at 8:15a. Contact Sheila Thelen with questions.
School lunch is in need of additional volunteers for the serving line. This is a fun way to visit with your children and their classmates in a casual atmosphere. The volunteer shift is from 11:00a to 12:20p, once or twice a month. Schedule is set in advance for the school year so you can plan ahead. If you are interested or would like additional information contact Cheryl.
DCHS Middle School Show Choir Workshop: Tuesday, March 6th, starting at 1pm. This is a fun opportunity to perform with over 100 middle schoolers from around the Des Moines area. Students will participate in an afternoon workshop rehearsing music and dance from Broadway, Disney, and beyond! A performance showcasing what they’ve learned will take place on the Dowling Catholic Auditorium Stage, along with members of Dowling Catholic Dimensions Show Choir at 7pm.
The cost is $25 and includes a t-shirt and pizza dinner. Make checks payable to Dowling and bring to the office or Ms. Graf by Friday, February 2nd. (Please include a t-shirt size and specify Youth or Adult.) Volunteer drivers will be needed to help transport students. Please contact Mrs. Graf if you are able to help.
Discover E(Engineering) Girl Day This FREE event will be held on Thursday, February 22nd from 4p-7p (open house format). There will be lots of opportunities for girls of all ages to explore various aspects of engineering. Click here to register.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
Used Uniform Sale: Home and School will be holding a used uniform sale in the hallway outside the school office during conference week (February 12-14). Gently used uniforms and spirit wear of all sizes (please no rips or stains) can be dropped off at the school office starting Monday. Contact Christa Lozano with questions.
SCRIP CLIPS: For order forms or to learn more about Scrip, click on the links below:
- What is Scrip?
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
- Check www.shopwithscrip.com for additional retailers available for on-line purchase. (Larger denomination cards are also available on-line.)
Contact Christa Lozano if you have any questions or would like help in setting up an on-line account.
FAITH & OUTREACH
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café.
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help. Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or laundry detergent.
Contact Stacey Dorsey to be added to the e-mail distribution list.
Donate unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins outside the school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church. Thanks again for all of your generous donations! St Francis truly makes a difference in our community!
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter. There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.