October 23rd-27th: Iowa Assessments
October 27th: Mission Awareness Day
Bid 4 Kids Auction!!
Preparations are in full swing. Join us at the event or from home with online mobile bidding. Event, VIP, or bidding tickets are now available on our website.
Class Gift Coordinators are still needed in grades 1st, 2nd, 4th ,6th, 7th, and 8th. This is a perfect opportunity to show your crafty side along with supporting our kids! Contact Sara Tamisiea or Molly Novotny if you are interested in helping. #its4thekid
Dowling Catholic High School’s Annual Open House for Prospective Students is Sunday, November 5th from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Student Ambassadors will take you for a tour of the school; you will meet the teachers, moderators, and coaches and learn about financial aid opportunities. There are prizes to win and games to play. It’s a fun day for the whole family!
Wednesday Rosary Join us in saying the rosary before school mass on Wednesdays in the Assisi room at 8:15a. No worries if you are running late, just join us where we are! All are welcome. Let’s pray together for our school, church and community! Please contact Sheila Thelen with any questions.
Non-public transportation reimbursement forms are due by December 1. Parents, if you live 2 miles or more from St. Francis, please complete the form and submit to the school district in which you reside. This is done twice a year. If you have questions regarding your reimbursement, please contact your resident school district.
Faster Than the Pastor 5K walk/run will be held on October 21st.
ST FRANCIS NURSERY – SERVICE OPPORTUNITY: Volunteers for the nursery must be in 6th grade or older and have completed a brief orientation session. The next orientation is Sunday, Oct 15th from 11-11:30a. Please contact Rebecca Bahl, if you would like to attend or to be notified of future orientations . Once students complete the orientation and sign a volunteer agreement, they will be contacted regarding childcare opportunities.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
Art Assistants are still needed at a once a month commitment level in the following classrooms:
- 2nd grade: Mrs. Kock – Wednesday 1:30-2:15
Please contact Melissa Ziegert for more information or to sign up.
The Des Moines Best Coupon Book Thank you for the tremendous group effort in making this another successful Coupon Book Fundraiser. There are just a handful of books that need to be returned, so if you still have them laying around your house, it would be greatly appreciated if they were returned next week. The final total will be shared soon! If there are any questions/concerns, please feel free to contact Mara Van Ee.
If you have any questions about SCRIP please contact Christa Lozano.
For order forms or to learn more about Scrip, click on the links below:
- What is Scrip?
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
FAITH & OUTREACH
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café.
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help. Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or laundry detergent.
Contact Stacey Dorsey to be added to the e-mail distribution list.
Donate unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins outside the school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church. Thanks again for all of your generous donations! St Francis truly makes a difference in our community!
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter. There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.