Friday, October 6th: 7/8th Grade Dance @ St. Augustin 7p
Tuesday, October 10th:
- Spirit Wear Day
- Middle School Motivational Speaker/Chris Norton @ 9a in the Parish Hall-Parents Welcome
- Parent Teacher Conferences K-8 4:30p-7:30p
Thursday, October 12th : Parent Teacher Conferences K-8 8:30a-12:30p
Thursday, October 12th-Monday, October 16th: Conference Break, NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, October 17th: Classes Resume
Bid 4 Kids Auction!!
Preparations are in full swing. Join us at the event or from home with online mobile bidding. Event, VIP, or bidding tickets are now available on our website.
Class Gift Coordinators are still needed in grades 1st, 2nd, 4th ,6th, 7th, and 8th. This is a perfect opportunity to show your crafty side along with supporting our kids! Contact Sara Tamisiea or Molly Novotny if you are interested in helping. #its4thekid
Wednesday Rosary Join us in saying the rosary before school mass on Wednesdays in the Assisi room at 8:15a. No worries if you are running late, just join us where we are! All are welcome. Let’s pray together for our school, church and community! Please contact Sheila Thelen with any questions.
Non-public transportation reimbursement forms are due by December 1. Parents, if you live 2 miles or more from St. Francis, please complete the form and submit to the school district in which you reside. This is done twice a year. If you have questions regarding your reimbursement, please contact your resident school district.
Faster Than the Pastor 5K walk/run will be held on October 21st. Volunteers are still needed during lunch recess (11:30-12:45), on Wednesdays and Fridays to help record students’ progress. Please contact Mike Hazel or Tracy Schmulbach with questions.
Lunchroom Volunteers are still needed on the serving line, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 11:00am to 12:20pm. This is a great way to visit with all three lunch shifts! Email Cheryl if you are available to help or would like more information.
ST FRANCIS NURSERY – SERVICE OPPORTUNITY: Volunteers for the nursery must be in 6th grade or older and have completed a brief orientation session. The next orientation is Sunday, Oct 15th from 11-11:30a. Please contact Rebecca Bahl, if you would like to attend or to be notified of future orientations . Once students complete the orientation and sign a volunteer agreement, they will be contacted regarding childcare opportunities.
The SFA 7th-8th Grade Drama Club! will meet in the St Clare room, on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month, starting on Sept. 25th, from 3:30-4:30. Bring a snack and be ready for some fun! Direct any questions to Mrs. Umstead.
Little Flowers Girls’ Club (ages 5-9) This mother/daughter Catholic girls’ club meets on the second Tuesday of each month from 4:00-5:00. This program reinforces prayer, kind actions and good manners. Childcare is available for other children. Please email email@example.com or call 515-494-4874 with questions.
Calling all Elementary and Middle School Musicians! We need you!
- Children’s Choir meets on Wednesdays from 5:45p-6:15p in the school music room. Contact Mrs. Lindsay Struecker for more information.
- Middle School Choir will meet on Wednesdays from 5:45p-6:15p in the St. Clare Room. Contact Mrs. Audra Meyer for more information.
SFA Chess Club: Students from all grades are welcome to join us every Friday from 7:15a-8a in the school gym. Come prepared to have fun and to learn how to play chess. Contact Sergio Bravo or John Schumacher with questions. Parents are encouraged join us to for as many sessions as your schedule allows to help supervise.
Life Time Fitness Day Camp (During conference break on October 12th, 13th and 16th)
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
Art Assistants are still needed at a once a month commitment level in the following classrooms:
- Kindergarten: Mrs. Hentges, Wednesday 10:30-11:00, Mrs. McManus, Wednesday 11:00-11:30
- 2nd grade: Mrs. Kock – Wednesday 1:30-2:15
Please contact Melissa Ziegert for more information or to sign up.
The Des Moines Best Coupon Book fundraiser has come to a close. We need everyone’s help by returning unsold books and/or payment of $25 per book. Thank you to all who have returned materials so far. A big shout out to Mrs. Anderson’s 5th grade class who are the only class to have 100% of families with returned books and/or money. Please contact Mara Van Ee or 515-981-4054 with any questions.
SCRIP CLIPS: There will be no SCRIP orders placed next week, October 9-13, due to the short week for conferences. Orders placed this Monday will be filled by Friday October 20th. SCRIP cards will be available in the Parish Hall after mass on October 14 and 15. You will be able to buy cards that we have in stock, which includes all of our local vendors, such as Hy-Vee, Kum and Go, and also many of the national chain vendors as well.
If you have any questions about SCRIP please contact Christa Lozano.
For order forms or to learn more about Scrip, click on the links below:
- What is Scrip?
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
FAITH & OUTREACH
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café.
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help. Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or laundry detergent.
Contact Stacey Dorsey to be added to the e-mail distribution list.
Donate unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins outside the school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church. Thanks again for all of your generous donations! St Francis truly makes a difference in our community!
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter. There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.