Beginning of the Year Forms If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to fill out necessary forms for the beginning of the school year.
Faster Than the Pastor On October 21st, St. Francis of Assisi students will have an opportunity to participate in the Faster than the Pastor 5k walk/run. Participating students will “train” for the race by accumulating 23 miles from now until the October 21st race date. Students will have an opportunity to accumulate a portion of their hours 2x/week during “recess rounds”.
Volunteers are still needed! during lunch recess (11:30-12:45), on Wednesdays and Fridays. Volunteers will help record students’ progress with an app on their smart phones. Shifts are broken out for each recess, but please stay for the entire time frame if you are able. Thank you in advance for your support!
OPPORTUNITIES & SIGN UPS
Lacrosse Fun Night (boys grades 4-12)
Calling all Elementary and Middle School Musicians! All students of the parish are invited to participate in St. Francis of Assisi Children’s Choir and Middle School Choir! Each group is scheduled to lead the music for weekend Masses on a monthly basis. Please come, lead the music and sing for God! We need you!
- Children’s Choir will meet on Wednesdays from 5:45p-6:15p in the school music room. Contact Mrs. Lindsay Struecker for more information.
- Middle School Choir will meet on Wednesdays from 5:45p-6:15p in the St. Clare Room. Our first rehearsal is Wednesday September 6th, and our first liturgy is Sunday September 10th at 9:30a.Service hours may be earned for participation in parish choir. Please come, lead the music, and sing for God! Contact Mrs. Audra Meyer for more information.
SFA Chess Club: Students from all grades are welcome to join us every Friday from 7:15a-8:00a, starting September 8th in the school gym. No knowledge or specific level is required. Just come prepared to have fun and to learn how to play chess. Contact Sergio Bravo or John Schumacher with questions. Parents are encouraged join us to for as many sessions as your schedule allows to help supervise.
ST FRANCIS NURSERY – SERVICE OPPORTUNITY: The nursery is seeking volunteers 12 and older who love working with kids and have a desire to provide compassionate, safe and quality care to the young members of our parish.
Currently, we have several ongoing events that need childcare but also expect one-time events to arise throughout the year. The goal is to have a list of students who have a desire to help in the nursery which can be contacted to fill these positions. These students will need to attend a brief nursery orientation to be part of this list and sign a volunteer agreement. The first orientation will be held Tuesday, September 5.
Please contact Rebecca Bahl, as soon as possible if interested in volunteering in the nursery this school year.
Girls’ Brava Group (grades K-6th): Brava is a non-competitive performance group that focuses on building girls’ self-confidence through singing, dancing and acting. Email Lindsay if you are interested.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
The Des Moines Best Coupon Book Fundraiser will be coming home with students at the end of next week. Please be on the lookout for the packet which will include 2 books worth $50. This is the only Fundraiser where we ask students to sell something. More information will come next week in News and Notes and will be included in the packet.
Volunteer Sign Ups: Please be sure to view the volunteer form for opportunities to help out this coming school year!
SCRIP CLIPS: The first order processing date for SCRIP will be Monday, September 11th. Cards will be sent home on Friday, September 15th. Families new to St. Francis: a plastic folder will be sent home with your youngest/only child next week. Please use this to send in your SCRIP orders on Mondays. Filled orders will be sent back in this envelope on Fridays.
If you have any questions about SCRIP please contact Christa Lozano.
For order forms or to learn more about Scrip, click on the links below:
- What is Scrip
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
FAITH & OUTREACH
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café.
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help. Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or laundry detergent.
Contact Stacey Dorsey to be added to the e-mail distribution list.
You can also help by Donating unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins outside the school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church.
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter. There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.