Monday, September 4th: Labor Day-NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, September 5th: Spirit Wear Day (with dress code bottoms).
Friday, September 8th: Show Your Team Colors! Support your team by wearing their colors to school with dress code bottoms.
Beginning of the Year Forms If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to fill out necessary forms for the beginning of the school year.
Faster Than the Pastor On October 21st, St. Francis of Assisi students will have an opportunity to participate in the Faster than the Pastor 5k walk/run. Participating students will “train” for the race by accumulating 23 miles from now until the October 21st race date. Students will have an opportunity to accumulate a portion of their hours 2x/week during “recess rounds”.
We have an IMMEDIATE need for volunteers! during lunch recess (11:30-12:45), on Wednesdays and Fridays, beginning Friday, September 8th. Volunteers will help out at the track and use an app on their smart phones to scan students’ barcodes to record their laps. Opportunities are broken out for each recess, but please stay for the entire time frame if you are able.
Pam Baker (FTTP Director) will be here on Wednesday, September 6th at 10:00 to train volunteers for that initial kickoff of Recess Rounds. Any volunteers interested in helping at any point are encouraged to attend. Thank you in advance for your support!
OPPORTUNITIES & SIGN UPS
Calling all Elementary and Middle School Musicians! All students of the parish are invited to participate in St. Francis of Assisi Children’s Choir and Middle School Choir! Each group is scheduled to lead the music for weekend Masses on a monthly basis. Please come, lead the music and sing for God! We need you!
- Children’s Choir will meet on Wednesdays from 5:45p-6:15p in the school music room. Contact Mrs. Lindsay Struecker for more information.
- Middle School Choir will meet on Wednesdays from 5:45p-6:15p in the St. Clare Room. Our first rehearsal is Wednesday September 6th, and our first liturgy is Sunday September 10th at 9:30a.Service hours may be earned for participation in parish choir. Please come, lead the music, and sing for God! Contact Mrs. Audra Meyer for more information.
SFA Chess Club: Students from all grades are welcome to join us every Friday from 7:15a-8:00a, starting September 8th in the school gym. No knowledge or specific level is required. Just come prepared to have fun and to learn how to play chess. Contact Sergio Bravo or John Schumacher with questions. Parents are encouraged join us to for as many sessions as your schedule allows to help supervise.
ST FRANCIS NURSERY – SERVICE OPPORTUNITY: The nursery is seeking volunteers 12 and older who love working with kids and have a desire to provide compassionate, safe and quality care to the young members of our parish.
Currently, we have several ongoing events that need childcare but also expect one-time events to arise throughout the year. The goal is to have a list of students who have a desire to help in the nursery which can be contacted to fill these positions. These students will need to attend a brief nursery orientation to be part of this list and sign a volunteer agreement. The first orientation will be held Tuesday, September 5.
Please contact Rebecca Bahl, as soon as possible if interested in volunteering in the nursery this school year.
Girls’ Brava Group (grades K-6th): Brava is a non-competitive performance group that focuses on building girls’ self-confidence through singing, dancing and acting. Email Lindsay if you are interested.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
If you are a new family to St. Francis, your youngest or only child will be receiving a plastic folder for SCRIP next week. Please use this to send in SCRIP orders and we will send the cards back to you in this folder.
If you have any questions about SCRIP please contact Christa Lozano at email@example.com.
SCRIP CLIPS: The first order processing date for SCRIP will be Monday, September 11th. Cards will be sent home on Friday, September 15th. Families new to St. Francis: a plastic folder will be sent home with your youngest/only child next week. Please use this to send in your SCRIP orders on Mondays. Filled orders will be sent back in this envelope on Fridays.
For order forms or to learn more about Scrip, click on the links below:
- What is Scrip
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
FAITH & OUTREACH
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café.
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help. Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or laundry detergent.
Contact Stacey Dorsey to be added to the e-mail distribution list.
You can also help by Donating unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins outside the school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church.
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter. There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.