Mrs. Berrie & Mrs. Hanson Retirement Celebration Please join us Wednesday. May 24th to celebrate!
Dr. Jerry Deegan Retirement Party: Teach, Inspire, Retire! Please join us as we celebrate Dr. Jerry Deegan’s retirement. A reception will take place beginning at 5 p.m. in the Dowling Catholic gym and the program will begin at 6:30. To help us plan, please RSVP Here
SFA Uniforms and Spirit Wear: Spirit wear and uniform shirt orders placed prior to July 15th will be available for pick-up at the supply drop off in August. The next order deadline will be Sept. 15th with delivery in October. Orders are accepted year-round, and will be delivered to your child at school. You will be notified by email when they are available for pick-up.
- MIDDLE SCHOOL PARENTS: P.E. UNIFORM ORDER DEADLINE IS JULY 15th! Uniforms will be available for pickup at Supply Drop off in August. Inventory, after this deadline will be limited, so please plan accordingly and consider ordering extras for your growing middle-schoolers.
- FUN NEW ST. FRANCIS SPIRIT WEAR STYLES ARE NOW AVAILABLE! Proceeds from Spirit Wear benefit Home and School and support our students.
Please contact Terri McIlhon or 515-883-3000 ext. 203 with questions. Thanks!
St. Francis School Library open during the summer! This year, we will be open for library check out on the following Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- June 20, 27
- July 11, 18, 25
- August 1, 8
Part time opening in school lunch program next year: The position is 2 days per week, food prep and cashiering. If interested or for more information, contact Cheryl.
School Supplies for the 2017-18 School Year: For your convenience, we will once again be offering online school supply ordering. Please go to the link above and enter school code STF024 to access our lists. Ordering deadline is June 21st.
Incoming Dowling Catholic Freshman: Uniform Order Information
OPPORTUNITIES & SIGN UPS
Annual SFA Pack 88 Boy Scout Campout: Calling All K-4th Boys. Please join us on May 24 @ Campbell Park from 6-8pm. Being a scout includes campouts with friends, exploring new places, learning new skills, building and racing a pinewood derby car along with parish activities and community involvement. If you are unavailable to make the picnic and would like more information, please contact Charlie Bottenberg.
Blank Pediatric Therapy summer handwriting camp: 8-week program focusing on improving your child’s pre-writing and handwriting skills. Three separate 60 minute camps will be offered. Cost is $300 and includes all materials. For more information click on the link above or register here . Please contact Brenda Pedersen at 225-6212 with questions.
Middle School Summer Math Prep: June 1-June 23. Keep your student’s math skills sharp this summer as they learn and prepare for next fall’s math curriculum. Classes will be offered at DCHS and are to provide background and enrichment. Students should sign up for the class they will be taking in the fall:
- 8:15 Geometry
- 9:15 Algebra
- 10:15 Junior High math
For more information contact Earl Hulst or 270-1056.
Warrior Lane Summer Bowling Passes are available in the office.
Dowling Catholic Youth Football Clinic and Pizza Party: Grades 4th & 5th, Sunday, August 13th. Space is limited!
Summer Swim Lessons: DCHS and the Dowling Catholic Riptide USA Swimming Team have partnered up to bring quality swimming lessons back to DCHS! Visit Swimming Lessons for information on the new swimming levels and available class times. Please contact Ann Peterson with questions.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
PBIS Cart Donations: Donate your old abandoned treasures to the Prize Cart! We take anything from pencils and stickers to bouncy balls, figurines, and books. Please send donations with your student or drop off at the school office. Make sure to label them ‘Prize Cart Donations’ and we will add them to our collection for students to purchase with their reward tickets. Thank you!!
SCRIP CLIPS: Physical Scrip cards will not be available over the summer, but did you know that you can purchase Scrip online anytime at Shopwithscrip.com? Set up a Presto Pay account and payments can be deducted directly through your bank account. It’s easy, convenient to use and allows you to keep building up rebates through the summer months!
Fifth grade families: You can support SFA Home and School by purchasing a $10 Culvers Scrip card for your child to use for their class lunch outing on May 26.
For order forms or to learn more about how Scrip works, click on the links below:
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
FAITH & OUTREACH
Gently Used Toys Wanted for the Parish Nursery: The nursery will be getting an overhaul this summer and many broken and worn out toys will be thrown away. If you have any like-new toys that you are ready to give away, please contact Rebecca Bahl, Nursery Coordinator or 223-4577 ext.131. Please use the following criteria when considering your donation:
- Clean, gently used, like-new condition
- Appropriate for ages 0-5 years old
- Must have all the pieces that are required for the toy/game to work
Click here for a list of most wanted items. Cash donations to buy new toys are also welcome!
Nursery Service Opportunities available for students 13 and older: June 8 & 22, July 13 & 27 from 6:30p-9p. Please contact Rebecca Bahl if interested.
Vacation Bible School (VBS) registration is still open to all kiddos going into pre-k through 6th grade in the fall of 2017. Please stop by the RE office or go to the parish website to find registration forms!! The dates are June 12-16 from 9-12. For any questions or comments please feel free to contact Ali Maurice or 515-724-4593.
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café?
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help with food and supply donations, along with an opportunity to serve the warm meal.
- Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or bagging laundry detergent.
If you have questions or want to get added onto the distribution list, please contact Stacey Dorsey.
A GREEN bin for CONNECTION CAFÉ is located outside the school office. Donate unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins by school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church.
THANK YOU!! Since March of 2017, we have been able to donate another 1,110 toiletry items to the Connection Café for a grand total for the 2016/2017 school year, of 3,960 toiletry items! This is over 1,000 more items than last school year or a 47% increase!
What a positive difference this makes in our community and I can’t express how thankful the clients are at Connection Cafe to receive these products!
With the end of the school year fast approaching, you will still have the opportunity to donate items by filling the GREEN BIN in the Gathering Place outside of the church. The GREEN BIN at the SFA School will return in the Fall at the start of the next school year. Hope everyone has a terrific summer and remember as you go on your family vacations to gather your unused toiletry items.
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter.
- There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.