Wednesday, May 3rd: May Crowning Liturgy:
- Students in grades K-5 are asked to bring a single flower, to make up their classroom bouquet, to their homeroom when they arrive in the morning.
- Students in Grades 6-8 should plan to bring in of the following bedding plants (4-6 pack): petunias, zinnias, geraniums, impatiens, alyssum, pansies, salvia, marigolds or snapdragons. These will be used by the 8th Grade class to plant the Mary garden by the entrance of the school after they are presented at Mass.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Mistry.
Friday, May 5th: 7th/8th Grade Dance @ SFA: Please click here to donate items and/or volunteer your time at the dance. Thanks in advance for your help!
Please contact Mrs. Mistry with any questions.
Incoming Dowling Catholic Freshman: Uniform Order Information
The Knights Of Columbus Scholarship is offered to help encourage enrollment in Catholic High Schools and to help defray the cost of a college education. Council 12422 will award 2 $1000 scholarships in 2017. One to a Saint Francis of Assisi Parish member, who is in 8th grade and will be attending Dowling Catholic and a second to a Saint Francis of Assisi Parish member, who is a high school senior going to any college or university. The scholarship will be awarded to someone who has shown a balance of good character service and academics. The Deadline is Sunday, April 30th. Please click on the link above for more information.
Submit photos from school sponsored events to be considered for the yearbook by clicking here (school activation code is AEWDQX). Thanks in advance for your help!
OPPORTUNITIES & SIGN UPS
Waukee Family YMCA Summer Sports Clinics
Blank Pediatric Therapy summer handwriting camp: 8-week program focusing on improving your child’s pre-writing and handwriting skills. Three separate 60 minute camps will be offered. Cost is $300 and includes all materials. For more information click on the link above or register here . Please contact Brenda Pedersen at 225-6212 with questions.
Middle School Summer Math Prep: June 1-June 23. Keep your student’s math skills sharp this summer as they learn and prepare for next fall’s math curriculum. Classes will be offered at DCHS and are to provide background and enrichment. Students should sign up for the class they will be taking in the fall:
- 8:15 Geometry
- 9:15 Algebra
- 10:15 Junior High math
For more information contact Earl Hulst or 270-1056.
Warrior Lane Summer Bowling Passes are available in the office.
Dowling Catholic Youth Football Clinic and Pizza Party: Grades 4th & 5th, Sunday, August 13th. Space is limited!
Summer Swim Lessons: DCHS and the Dowling Catholic Riptide USA Swimming Team have partnered up to bring quality swimming lessons back to DCHS! Visit Swimming Lessons for information on the new swimming levels and available class times. Please contact Ann Peterson with questions.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
PBIS Cart Donations: Do you have small toys or trinkets cluttering your house? Are you dying to clear out those happy meal prizes or birthday party favors? Donate your old abandoned treasures to the Prize Cart! We take anything from pencils and stickers to bouncy balls, figurines, and books. Please send donations with your student or drop off at the school office. Make sure to label them ‘Prize Cart Donations’ and we will add them to our collection for students to purchase with their reward tickets. Thank you!!
SCRIP CLIPS: Upcoming order dates: May 1, 8, 15. The spring Scrip promotion is going on now! Purchase at least $100 in Scrip cards before May 8 and receive a Crazy Hair Day pass for each of your SFA students to use on Friday, May 19. Scrip cards will be available in the Parish Hall after all masses this weekend. Stop by and support St. Francis Home and School by purchasing Scrip gift cards for upcoming graduations, weddings, Mother’s Day, home and garden needs, summer activities and travel, and your day to day groceries, fuel, etc. . . .it’s fundraising while you shop!
For order forms or to learn more about how Scrip works, click on the links below:
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
FAITH & OUTREACH
Vacation Bible School (VBS) registration is now taking place for all participants and volunteers! There are a few youth volunteer positions still available and many ADULT volunteer positions available. ADULT volunteers are a very important part of making the week happen. Please consider volunteering your time for a week of fun and fellowship centered around our children and Christ! All forms can be found online or in the RE office. For any questions or comments please feel free to contact Ali Maurice or 515-724-4593.
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café?
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help with food and supply donations, along with an opportunity to serve the warm meal.
- Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or bagging laundry detergent.
If you have questions or want to get added onto the distribution list, please contact Stacey Dorsey.
A GREEN bin for CONNECTION CAFÉ is located outside the school office. Donate unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins by school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church.
Since the start of the 2016/2017 school year, we have already donated over 2,850 toiletry items to the Connection Café! Thank you for the difference you make in our community!
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter.
- There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.