Friday March 19th: NO SCHOOL, SPRING BREAK. Classes resume on Monday March 20th.
Monday, March 20th: Celebrate Spring by wearing GREEN! Let’s come back to school looking and feeling like spring! On Monday, you can wear green (with uniform bottoms)!
MAY 1st DEADLINE!!! Non-public transportation reimbursement forms are due by May 1st. Parents, if you live 2 miles or more from St. Francis, please complete the form and submit to the school district in which you reside. This is done twice a year. If you have questions regarding your reimbursement, please contact your resident school district.
Catholic Tuition Organization Financial Information: CTO applications are available in the school office and may be submitted anytime. When applying please use our St. Francis school code 450 and school password is cto450. Application deadline is April 7, 2017.
K-5th Jump Rope for Heart Event: go online to raise life-saving donations today for this year’s Jump Rope for Heart event. Click here to get started! Thank you for your support of the American Heart Association!
The Knights Of Columbus Scholarship is offered to help encourage enrollment in Catholic High Schools and to help defray the cost of a college education. Council 12422 will award 2 $1000 scholarships in 2017. One to a Saint Francis of Assisi Parish member, who is in 8th grade and will be attending Dowling Catholic and a second to a Saint Francis of Assisi Parish member, who is a high school senior going to any college or university. The scholarship will be awarded to someone who has shown a balance of good character service and academics. Please click on the link above for more information.
Deadline for yearbook orders is March 24! Order your 2016-2017 SFA Yearbook online (school code:12546417). Yearbooks cost $23.00 per book and will be delivered to students in May.
Submit photos from school sponsored events to be considered for the yearbook by clicking here (school activation code is AEWDQX). Thanks in advance for your help!
OPPORTUNITIES & SIGN UPS
Summer Swim Lessons: DCHS and the Dowling Catholic Riptide USA Swimming Team have partnered up to bring quality swimming lessons back to DCHS! Visit Swimming Lessons for information on the new swimming levels and available class times. Please contact Ann Peterson with questions.
Winter Baseball Clinic Join us for three hours of excellent instruction provided by the Dowling Catholic Baseball Staff and Players on Hitting, Pitching, Catching, and Fielding Open to all Grades 3rd – 8th.
DCHS Cheer Tryout Clinics: Wednesday, March 22, 4:00-5:30pm, Thursday, March 23, 4:15-5:45pm, Friday, March 24, 4:15-5:45pm. Tryouts will be held Saturday, March 25, beginning at 2:30pm.
HOME & SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS
Bid 4 the Kids Auction – Tax Receipts Thank you for supporting the auction! If you donated an item or cash to the auction, your donation was included on your tithing report from the parish office as a special donation. If you bought an item the night of the auction, a receipt was emailed to you from GiveSmart. Thank you again for your support! Save the date: next year’s auction will be November 11, 2017.
SCRIP CLIPS: Upcoming order dates: Mar. 20, 27. Bonus rebates are currently being offered for the following vendors through March 24:
- Dominoes +2% (10% total rebate)
- Pet Smart +3% (8% total rebate)
- Red Robin +2% (11% total rebate)
Support St. Francis Home and School by purchasing Scrip gift cards for your home and garden needs, spring clothing and sports equipment, groceries, fuel, etc. . . .it’s fundraising while you shop!
For order forms or to learn more about how Scrip works, click on the links below:
- Scrip Agreement: if you haven’t already done so, please complete the form and return to the office with your next order.
- Order Form: Submit your order and check (payable to SFA Home and School) with your child by Monday at 10am for Friday delivery. Thank you for all your support of the SCRIP program throughout the year!
FAITH & OUTREACH
The Saint Francis Homeless and Hungry Committee supports our community by serving 3 local shelters. Volunteers are needed to help provide that support.
The Connection Café is a free lunch program that serves the homeless and low income community downtown.
- Each day, over 150-200 meals are served to men, women and children.
- On the 3rd Wednesday of each month, a group from St. Francis of Assisi Church, serves a warm meal and brings supplies to the Connection Café?
- Each month, an email is sent out requesting help with food and supply donations, along with an opportunity to serve the warm meal.
- Students can receive service hours by baking cookies, making the main dish, bagging trail mix, or bagging laundry detergent.
If you have questions or want to get added onto the distribution list, please contact Stacey Dorsey.
Spring Break Toiletries Drive for the Connection Café: Are you going somewhere for Spring Break? If you don’t use your toiletries, bring them home with you to donate to the Connection Café.
A GREEN bin for CONNECTION CAFÉ is located outside the school office. Donate unused hotel toiletries (mini shampoos, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc.) to either of the GREEN bins by school office or in the Gathering Space by the Church.
Since the start of the 2016/2017 school year, we have already donated over 2,850 toiletry items to the Connection Café! Thank you for the difference you make in our community!
Central Iowa Shelter and Services (CISS) Central Iowa Shelter & Services’ Mission is to provide low-barrier shelter, meals and support services at no cost to adults experiencing homelessness and to facilitate their move toward self-sufficiency.
- On average 200-250 meals are served, rising to nearly 300 during the winter months.
- St Francis provides/serves a meal on the 9th and 10th of every month.
- Volunteers are needed to purchase, prepare and serve the meals.
- Volunteers can sign up individually or a group can provide an entire meal.
Contact Lisa Altringer to be added to the email distribution list.
St Joseph Emergency Family Shelter is the only emergency shelter in Polk County where the entire family unit can stay together. They provide safe, clean housing for homeless families for a limited stay.
- On the 2nd Saturday of each month, a group from St. Francis provides a meal to the shelter.
- There are several service opportunities for students.
Please contact Kim Mallisee to be added to the e-mail distribution list.